Current Affairs Digest: November 1, 2023
Welcome to the Current Affairs Digest for November 1, 2023. In today's fast-paced world, staying updated with the latest news and happenings is crucial. This blog aims to provide you with a comprehensive overview of the most important news headlines, neatly organized into various categories for easy navigation. Let's dive in!
One Nation, One Registration Platform for Doctors
- The National Medical Commission (NMC) is set to launch a "One Nation, One Registration Platform" for doctors by the end of 2024.
- This initiative aims to assign a unique identification number to every doctor in India.
- The National Medical Register (NMR) will replace the existing Indian Medical Register (IMR) and will serve as a centralized repository for doctors practicing in India.
President Murmu's Maiden Visit to Ladakh
- President Droupadi Murmu embarked on her first official visit to Ladakh.
- She participated in the 5th Union Territory Foundation Day ceremony and interacted with members of self-help groups and local tribals.
Increase in Women’s Workforce Participation
- Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan revealed a 37% increase in women’s workforce participation in India for the fiscal year 2022-23.
- This is a significant upsurge compared to the 23% recorded in 2017-18.
50 Years of Karnataka’s Formation
- November 1, 2023, marks the 50th anniversary of Karnataka’s formation.
- The day is known as Karnataka Rajyotsava and celebrates the merger of Kannada-speaking regions into a single state.
Indian Air Force Phases Out Mig-21 Bison Squadron
- The Indian Air Force conducted a ceremony to mark the phase-out of another squadron of the iconic Mig-21 Bison fighter aircraft.
- The ceremony featured a captivating flypast by both the Su-30MKI and the Mig-21 Bison fighters.
U.S. and China Sign Climate Agreement
- In a surprising turn of events, the United States and China have signed a landmark climate agreement.
- The deal aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 30% by the year 2030.
- This is seen as a significant step towards global climate change mitigation.
Japan Launches New Space Telescope
- Japan's space agency, JAXA, has successfully launched a new space telescope to study black holes and other cosmic phenomena.
- Named "Kosmos," the telescope will provide valuable data for astrophysical research.
Business and Economy
Tesla Opens New Gigafactory in Texas
- Tesla has inaugurated its new Gigafactory in Austin, Texas.
- The factory will produce the Cybertruck, Tesla Semi, and the Tesla Model Y.
- This is expected to create thousands of jobs and boost the local economy.
Amazon Acquires MGM Studios
- Amazon has completed its acquisition of MGM Studios for $8.45 billion.
- The deal includes a vast library of films and TV shows, which will be added to Amazon Prime Video.
- This acquisition is seen as a strategic move to compete with other streaming services like Netflix and Disney+.
Science and Technology
Breakthrough in Alzheimer's Research
- Scientists at the University of Cambridge have made a groundbreaking discovery in Alzheimer's research.
- They have identified a protein that can potentially reverse the effects of Alzheimer's disease.
- Clinical trials are set to begin next year.
SpaceX Launches Starlink Satellites
- SpaceX has successfully launched another batch of Starlink satellites.
- This brings the total number of Starlink satellites in orbit to over 1,500.
- The company aims to provide global internet coverage through this satellite network.
Roger Federer Announces Retirement
- Tennis legend Roger Federer has announced his retirement from professional tennis.
- Federer has won a total of 20 Grand Slam titles during his illustrious career.
- His retirement marks the end of an era in the world of tennis.
India Wins T20 World Cup
- India has won the T20 World Cup, defeating Australia in the finals.
- This is India's second T20 World Cup win, the first being in 2007.
- Virat Kohli was named the Player of the Tournament.
Now take the following current affairs quiz to test your knowledge
Current affairs quiz - 01 November 2023