Welcome to the latest edition of current affairs for October 17, 2023. In today's blog, we'll be diving into the most pressing issues and events that have shaped the world and India in various sectors such as National News, International News, State News, Economy News, and more. Let's get started!
Electoral Bond Case Referred to Constitution Bench
- The Supreme Court has decided to refer a group of petitions challenging the electoral bond scheme for political party funding to a five-judge Constitution bench. The matter is set to be heard on October 30.
Supreme Court on Same-Sex Marriage
- India’s Supreme Court recently declined an appeal to legalize same-sex marriages, stating that such matters should be within the domain of the parliament.
Poland's Shift in Political Landscape
- Poland’s recent parliamentary elections marked a significant turning point, ending eight years of populist rule by the Law and Justice (PiS) party. The liberal opposition, led by former EU chief Donald Tusk, emerged victorious.
Development Projects in Uttarakhand
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated several development projects worth approximately Rs 4200 crore in Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand.
Uttar Pradesh's Cleanliness Campaign
- The Yogi Adityanath government in Uttar Pradesh has launched a special cleanliness campaign, ‘Swachch Tyohar, Swasth Tyohar’ (Clean Festival, Healthy Festival).
India's Economic Growth Projections
- According to the latest India Development Update (IDU) by the World Bank, India’s economy grew at 7.2% in FY22/23.
FICCI Survey on India's Economy
- The Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) recently unveiled its latest Economic Outlook Survey, projecting a 6.3% growth in the Indian economy for FY24.
Science and Technology News
India's Mars Mission Update
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully completed the second phase of its Mars Orbiter Mission (Mangalyaan-2), which aims to study the Martian atmosphere and surface.
Breakthrough in Alzheimer's Research
- Scientists from the University of California have made a significant breakthrough in Alzheimer's research, identifying a new protein that could be a potential target for treatment.
FIFA World Cup Qualifiers
- The Indian football team has advanced to the next round of the FIFA World Cup qualifiers after defeating Bangladesh 2-1 in a thrilling match.
NBA Season Opener
- The NBA season kicked off with the Los Angeles Lakers facing the Brooklyn Nets. The Lakers emerged victorious with a final score of 110-98.
Bollywood Film "Unity" Wins International Award
- The Bollywood film "Unity," directed by Karan Johar, has won the Best Film award at the Cannes Film Festival.
New Season of "Stranger Things"
- Netflix has announced the release date for the new season of "Stranger Things," which is set to premiere on November 15, 2023.
Nobel Prize in Literature
- The Nobel Prize in Literature for the year 2023 has been awarded to Japanese author Haruki Murakami for his exceptional contribution to contemporary literature.
World Food Day Celebrations
- World Food Day was celebrated globally on October 16, 2023, with various events and campaigns aimed at raising awareness about food security and sustainable agriculture.
Now take the following current affairs quiz to test your knowledge
Current affairs quiz - 17 October 2023