Welcome to the roundup of current affairs of 26 September 2023! From national milestones to international collaborations, we've got a lot to cover. Let's dive right in.
India's First Lighthouse Festival in Goa
- A three-day event called the 'Bharatiya Prakash Sthamb Utsav' was held in Goa to promote lighthouses as tourist destinations. The festival was inaugurated by Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and aims to highlight the role of lighthouses in coastal regions.
75% ODF Plus Villages under Swachh Bharat Mission
- India has achieved a significant milestone with 75% of its villages attaining Open Defecation Free (ODF) Plus status. This is part of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) Phase II, aiming for complete ODF Plus status by 2024-25.
Iran-India Trade and Investment MoU
- The Iran-India Joint Chamber of Commerce signed an MoU with the Federation of Indian Export Organization to boost trade and investment between the two countries.
- India-Indonesia-Australia Trilateral Maritime Exercise
- The Indian Navy participated in the first trilateral maritime exercise with Indonesia and Australia. The Indian Naval Ship Sahyadri represented India in this mission deployed in the Indo-Pacific region.
Banking & Finance
- SIDBI and DLAI Pact for Fintech Sector
- The Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) signed an MoU with the Digital Lenders Association of India (DLAI) to enhance the fintech sector in India.
Economy & Business
- 6.5% GDP Growth Estimate for FY24
- The Department of Economic Affairs under the Ministry of Finance has retained its GDP growth estimate for the Financial Year 2023-24 at 6.5%.
Awards & Recognitions
- Best Tourism Village of India 2023
- Biswanath Ghat in Assam has been selected as the Best Tourism Village of India for the year 2023. The selection was made by the Union Ministry of Tourism from among 791 applications across 31 States and Union Territories.
Appointments & Resignations
ADB's New Vice-President for Market Solutions
- Bhargav Dasgupta has been appointed as the Vice-President for Market Solutions at the Asian Development Bank (ADB). Prior to this, he served as the CEO of ICICI Lombard General Insurance Co. Ltd.
New Chairman of Tata Advanced Systems
- Banmali Agrawala has been appointed as the new Chairman of Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL). He succeeds Vijay Singh, who has retired from the post.
Science & Technology
World's Oldest Wood Structure in Zambia
- Archaeologists have discovered the world's oldest wooden structure dating back 476,000 years in Zambia. The findings were published in the journal 'Nature'.
Israel's New 5th Generation Tank
- Israel Defense Forces unveiled a new 5th generation main battle tank named 'Merkava Mark 5' or 'Barak', which translates to 'lightning' in Hebrew.
- New Marine Fish Species Discovered in West Bengal
- Scientists from the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) have discovered a new species of deep-water marine fish named 'Pterygotrigla intermedica' off the coast of West Bengal. The discovery was published in the international marine science journal Thalassas.
- Italy's Marco Bezzecchi Wins MotoGP Grand Prix of India 2023
- Marco Bezzecchi of Italy clinched the title at the inaugural MotoGP Grand Prix of India 2023, held at the Buddh International Circuit in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh. This marks the first time India has hosted a motor racing event since the 2013 Formula 1 Indian Grand Prix.
- Former Italian President Giorgio Napolitano Passes Away
- Giorgio Napolitano, the former President of Italy and leader of the Italian Communist Party, passed away at the age of 98. He was the longest-serving and longest-lived president in the history of modern Italy.
World Rivers Day 2023
- Observed on the 4th Sunday of September, World Rivers Day aims to raise awareness about the importance of rivers and encourages improved protection globally.
World Pharmacists Day 2023
- Celebrated on September 25, World Pharmacists Day aims to advocate the role of pharmacists around the world. The day also marks the foundation day of the International Pharmaceutical Federation.
Antyodaya Diwas Day 2023
- Observed on September 25, Antyodaya Diwas Day commemorates the birth anniversary of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya, former leader of the Bharatiya Jana Sangh, a precursor to the Bharatiya Janata Party.