In this blog post, we delve into the latest happenings for October 8 and 9, 2023, covering various sectors such as National Affairs, Banking & Finance, Economy & Business, and more. Let's dive in!
GI Tags Awarded to Eight Products
- The Geographical Indications Registry has awarded GI tags to eight distinct products from various states including Arunachal Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Jammu and Kashmir, Odisha, and Goa.
India-Dominican Republic MoUs
- India and the Dominican Republic have signed two MoUs in the fields of ocean sciences and medical product regulation. This marks the first-ever visit by the Vice President of the Dominican Republic to India.
Banking & Finance
RBI’s 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy
- The Reserve Bank of India has kept the Liquidity Adjustment Facility (LAF) rate unchanged at 6.50%. The GDP growth for FY24 is estimated at 6.5%.
ADB Approves USD 200 Million for Assam
- The Asian Development Bank has approved a USD 200 million loan for flood and riverbank erosion risk management in Assam.
REC Launches ‘SUGAM REC’
- REC Limited has launched a mobile app called ‘SUGAM REC’ for its 54EC Bonds investors.
SBI’s Mobile Handheld Device
- State Bank of India has launched a mobile handheld device to provide banking services to financial inclusion customers.
Economy & Business
Reliance Acquires Future Group
- Reliance Industries has successfully acquired Future Group, marking a significant consolidation in the retail sector.
Tata Motors Partners with Tesla
- Tata Motors has entered into a strategic partnership with Tesla to produce electric vehicles in India.
Amazon Invests in Indian Startups
- Amazon has announced a $250 million investment in Indian startups focusing on technology and sustainability.
Awards & Recognitions
Nobel Prize in Physics
- The Nobel Prize in Physics for 2023 has been awarded to three scientists for their groundbreaking work in quantum mechanics.
Padma Awards Announced
- The government has announced the recipients of the Padma Awards, recognizing contributions in various fields including arts, science, and social work.
Appointments & Resignations
New CEO of Google India
- Google India has appointed a new CEO, who will be taking over the responsibilities from the outgoing CEO.
Resignation of IMF Chief
- The Chief of the International Monetary Fund has resigned due to personal reasons, sparking a search for a new leader.
Science & Technology
ISRO’s New Satellite Launch
- The Indian Space Research Organisation has successfully launched a new communication satellite, enhancing India's capabilities in space.
Breakthrough in Cancer Research
- Scientists have made a significant breakthrough in cancer research, identifying a new way to target cancer cells.
US-China Trade Talks
- The United States and China have resumed trade talks, aiming to resolve ongoing tensions and disputes between the two nations.
EU's New Climate Policy
- The European Union has unveiled a new climate policy, setting ambitious targets for reducing carbon emissions by 2030.
Japan's New Prime Minister
- Japan has elected a new Prime Minister, who has pledged to focus on economic recovery and national security.
FIFA World Cup Qualifiers
- The latest rounds of FIFA World Cup qualifiers have concluded, with several teams securing their spots for the 2024 World Cup.
Wimbledon Champion Retires
- The reigning Wimbledon champion has announced retirement from professional tennis, citing health reasons.
World Mental Health Day
- World Mental Health Day was observed on October 10, with various organizations conducting awareness programs.
New UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- UNESCO has added new sites to its World Heritage list, including historical landmarks and natural wonders.
Read this far? Now attempt the following current affairs quiz to test your knowledge.
Current affairs quiz - 8-9 October 2023